Introduction and Welcome

Hello to Old Friends and New Friends!

Welcome to my Bead Designs Log, where I describe bead creations I have made and some backstory and inspirations where applicable.

I am creating this blog to have a place to show pictures of what I have made. At this time, some of these pictures are scans. I explain this because sometimes the colors are not "true"; and I will say so in the accompanying captions. When the time comes to re-photograph these items, I will replace or addend the pictures where I can.

It is also a place to solicit comments on my work. Please be kind. This is the closest I have ever come to having a gallery exhibition!

Enjoy!

All pictures, photos, scans, designs, and descriptions are copyrighted to the author!!
>>>>>MPK

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Buying Beads Part 1

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been buying beads. Not a real binge, actually, just perusing my stash and seeing what I have used and what I "need". Seed beads are always in the "need" column because that constitutes the bulk of my work. I have enough cabochons to see me through a bit, especially counting the porcelain ones. And yet I continue to look for those which I don't have. At a show recently I was talking to a couple of other beaders and the question was posed: do we need what we buy or we just hoarding?
Having experienced the "aha!" moment in designing beading projects several times recently I remembered some advice I saw in a home decorating how-to book in which the designer advised that if you are careful and decorate your home only with the best of what you pick out - it will all "go together" because it will be "yours". He insisted that everyone has a style that is personal and comfortable. The trick, if there is one, is to be choosy about what you use.
Buying beads for me is like that decorating advice. I buy the best of what I like. I know that if I continue to do this, things will fall together and a design will be born in a tray somewhere.

No comments: